Cooking at Home - Vegetable Chili
Makes: 5 Servings
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Chunks of zucchini, sweet potatoes and frozen corn add a creative twist to this chili dish. Combined with canned beans and diced tomatoes this tasty one-pot meal will hit the spot.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 2 zucchinis (cubed)
- 2 sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cans 16 ounce low-sodium dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans 14.5 ounce low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn (unthawed)
- Put the pot over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onions, zucchini, sweet potatoes, garlic and spices and cook, stirring from time to time, 20 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and tomatoes. Stir and cook, covered, until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook until warmed throughout.
- Serve right away or transfer to a container once cooled. Refrigerate up to 5 days.
Source: USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
Serving Size: 2 cup
Added Sugars included