As strong winds continue across the eastern plains of Colorado Wednesday, highways around the state are closing due to adverse weather and crashes.
In the southeast, Highway 287 closed from Kit Carson to the Oklahoma border due to safety concerns. Highway 50 also closed from Lamar to La Junta, and Highway 160 shut from Trinidad to Walsh according to the Colorado Department of Transportation shortly before 1:00 p.m.
Elsewhere, restrictions were in place for high profile and light vehicles, including Interstate 25 from New Mexico to the El Paso/Douglas County line and from Fort Collins to the Wyoming border.
Crashes due to weather were also being reported, including an overturned semi which closed Interstate 76 east of Sterling. The road reopened shortly after 1:00 p.m.
Potential reopening times for other locations have not been announced.
Wind across the eastern plains has been gusting above 60 miles per hour since at least mid-morning Wednesday. Gusts in the 70 to 90 mile per hour range have been common across the southeast portion of the state. At the U.S. Air Force Academy in El Paso County, a 100 mph gust was recorded at 11:18 a.m.
Blowing dust will remain a concern throughout the afternoon, and may limit visibility to 1/4 mile or less at times.
Listed below are closures and restrictions current as of 12:50 p.m.
Travel Alert | Road Closures Due to Adverse Weather
- CO 17 northbound and southbound at MP 0 to MP 17 is closed due to adverse weather.
- CO 52 MP 88 - 111 (Ft. Morgan to CO 14) closed both directions due to adverse conditions.
- CO 93 in both directions from CO 72 to CO 128 is closed due to adverse weather.
- US 50 eastbound at MP 278 is closed due to a power line on the roadway.
- US 50 in both directions at MP 378-436 is closed to high winds, low visibility and adverse conditions.
- US 85 at Weld County Road 104 to Wyoming state line is closed due to crashes and poor visibility.
- US 160 in both directions at MP 483 - 345 (Walsh to Trinidad) is closed due to high winds and blowing dust.
- US 160 eastbound at MP 450 (Pritchett) is closed to the state line due to high winds and poor visibility.
- US 285 in both directions at MP 162 - 203 is closed due to extremely high winds and adverse conditions.
- US 287 in both directions at MP 0-133.2 is closed due to severe wind and low visibility due to dust
- US 385 MP 111-130 in both directions due to adverse conditons.
- I-76 WB MM 134 East of Sterling closed due to a rolled-over semi.
Travel Alert | High Wind Restrictions
High wind restrictions are in place for all high profile and light vehicles on the following roads:
- I-25 in both directions at mile point 0 to 163 (New Mexico/Colorado border to El Paso/Douglas counties)
- I-25 southbound at County Line Road near Monument/Colorado Springs
- I-25 in both directions north of Fort Collins to the Wyoming border
- CO 115 at MP 14-47 in El Paso County
- US 24 at MP 311 - 330 from Colorado Springs to Peyton