4 Serious Health Hazards of a Wet Basement


April’s showers bring May’s flowers, but they can also wreak havoc on your basement and health. Below, we describe four health hazards of a wet basement.


No doubt, bacteria loves to cling onto moist surfaces. In fact, numerous types of bacteria can grow in your basement—and, unfortunately, even the most effective cleaning products won’t always remove bacteria. When this microorganism lives in your home, people are more susceptible to contracting an illness. To prevent bacteria from thriving in your basement, have your local waterproofing experts seal your home and install an efficient sump pump.

Dust Mites

Dust mites live in high humidity environments, and these common allergens are notorious for triggering allergic reactions and asthma attacks. Sadly, because they’re so tiny, we can’t identify them right away. While these pests are harmless to many, some individuals are highly sensitive to them. Dust mites spread rapidly, so you’ll need to act quickly if you want to avoid their negative effects on your raspatory system.


Keep an eye out for mold, which can enter your basement through HVAC systems, open doors, vents, and windows. It hides in carpet, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, wood, and other often-overlooked areas. Because mold grows where we least expect it, it can be difficult to detect.

Mold is known to set off allergies and cause respiratory issues, and some molds can produce dangerous toxic substances. Mold can start growing within a day or two after water enters your home, so be sure to remedy any water situation the moment it occurs.


Every homeowner’s worst nightmare is an unwanted tenant—and rodents and insects are certainly unwelcome guests. Wet basements can attract rodents, such as mice and rats, and excessive moisture also lures in insects. Regular maintenance, especially during the rainy season, will help you avoid infestations.

It’s important to recognize the different health hazards of a wet basement. If you have any of the aforementioned problems, we recommend contacting your local waterproofing company for assistance. They can help keep your home safe.